Choosing the right builder for you is crucial to your home-building experience. While we, of course, think you should choose Jorgenson Builders, we understand that we aren’t the right fit for every person out there. And its important you find a builder who’s the right fit because you’ll be spending a lot of time with them. At Jorgenson Builders we have a process and questions that we ask to help us make sure our customers are a good fit and that we can all have a good experience working together. But it would be good for you as the customer to have some questions ready to ask your potential builder. Here are a few that will help you in your selection:
- Are you licensed and insured? Can you provide copies of this for me?
- What type of warranty do you offer? Is it written and part of the contract?
- Why should we choose you over other builders and what do you do best?
- Can you give me references from prior customers that I can contact?
- Do you build energy-efficient homes and are you trained in this? Are you a Certified Green Professional? Have you built homes that are rated by Energy Star, LEED, NAHB Built Green, or some similar program?
- When will we know our budget and can you show us an example of what your budgets look like so we know what to expect?
- Who will be the person we contact with questions and how do we best contact them?
- How long will it take for our home to be built and do you offer any guarantee on a completion date?
- How do we make design selections and create our specifications for our project? Do you have specific standards or do you allow choices from anything out there? How are the selections and design details communicated between owners, builders, and subcontractors?
- Do you require a deposit to begin work? How about a retainer or something else up front?
- How often do you invoice for the job and how long do I have before payments are due?
- Do you offer financing or do you prefer we get financing for the project?
Obviously there are a lot more questions you can ask. These are just a few to get you started. Its great to do your homework and know what you want, but make sure you’re ready to listen to the builder and take his advice. A good builder will be able to answer all of these questions for you easily and quickly. We hope that we can meet with you soon to see if you’re a good fit to build a home with us!